For more than ten years Fannie Mae has been a leader in Green Financing, supporting our mission to provide sustainable affordable rental housing throughout the United States.
Thanks to your partnership, we’ve issued nearly $88 billion in Multifamily Green MBS since 2012, and we remain the largest issuer of green bonds in the world. We recently released our 2020 Green Bond Impact Report – the latest look at the substantial progress, innovation, and vision that you’ve helped make possible.
Here are some of the report’s highlights, which detail the projected environmental, social, and economic impacts of our Green program:
- 9.5B kilo British Thermal Units (kBtu) of source energy saved
- 8.5B gallons of water saved*
- 634K metric tons carbon dioxide equivalent (MTCO2 634K e) of GHG emissions prevented
- $146M utility cost savings by multifamily tenants, $146M or an average of $184 per family per year*
- $843 average homeowner utility cost savings per single-family home per year**
- 872K properties retrofitted or green building-certified*
- 224K well-paid jobs created or supported
- $9.5B wages paid to construct or retrofit properties, contributing $19.9 billion to U.S. gross domestic product (GDP)
- $410M borrower investment commitment for energy and water efficiency measures on 3,696 properties through the Multifamily Green Rewards Mortgage Loans*
- $2.83 economic output per dollar invested
* Includes estimated impacts only from Fannie Mae Multifamily Green Bonds.
** Includes estimated impacts only from Fannie Mae Single-Family Green Bonds.
Other major accomplishments from the past year include the introduction of our Sustainable Bond Framework, which incorporates the same rigorous green standards as our Green Bonds, and the issuance of our first Single-Family Green MBS.
Visit our website to learn more about our Green Bond impacts and offerings.
Thank you for believing in the possibility and promise of Green Financing – there’s much more to be done!