Ten years ago, Fannie Mae launched our Green Financing journey with the idea that together, we could create better quality housing through green property improvements. Every year since, with the help of your passion and partnership, we have made that idea a reality.
This week, we’re proud to release our 2019 Green Bond Impact Report, which celebrates the progress we’ve made in Green Finance over the past ten years. The report reflects upon our company’s leadership in housing sustainability and the impact of our $75 billion+ in Green Bond issuances.
Here are some highlights from the report:
- Approximately 770,000 units have been retrofitted or Green-building certified.
- Each dollar invested is projected to generate $2.99 in economic output.
- Newly constructed or retrofitted Green Multifamily buildings are estimated to have contributed $7.6 billion in workers’ income and $15.6 billion to U.S. gross domestic product (GDP) and supported 180,000 jobs.
- Tenants at these properties are projected to save $178 per unit per year on average on their utilities.
- As a result of Fannie Mae Green Bond-financing, properties are projected to reduce energy use by 7.8 billion kBTU, water use by 7.7 billion gallons, and greenhouse gas emissions by 528,000 metric tons.
All of this has been possible thanks to your willingness to learn and grow with us – we’ve gone from issuing our first Green Bond in 2012 to being the largest issuer of Green Bonds globally for the past three years. Even at the beginning of our efforts in Green, we believed – as we do now – that every loan can be a Green loan.
We’re excited for what’s still to come with Green Financing and hope to continue creating greener, more sustainable communities with you. We look forward to working with you on your next Green Mortgage Loan.