Unfunded Forward Commitment for 4% LIHTC Properties
An unfunded forward commitment to issue an MBS upon completion of construction and conversion to a permanent Mortgage Loan for Multifamily Affordable Properties. The MBS as Collateral for Tax-exempt Bonds (MTEB) execution is an available option for 4% LIHTC transactions. MTEB and 80/20 executions are available options for Unfunded Forward Commitments.
- Protection from interest rate volatility by locking the interest rate and other key provisions prior to construction
- Single asset security allows for customized loan structures
- Certainty and speed of execution
- MTEB execution offers optional reimbursement of certain costs of issuance up to 75bps
- LIHTC new construction and Properties undergoing substantial rehabilitation, including preservation and rural transactions
- Lenders approved to deliver forward commitments under Fannie Mae’s Multifamily Affordable Housing product line
Fixed or Variable Rate.
Good Faith Deposit
1% of the amount of the Forward Commitment, due at issuance of the Forward Commitment, and refundable upon conversion to the permanent Mortgage Loan.
Forward Rate Lock
24-to-36-month commitments. One delegated six-month extension available.
Forward Commitment Standby Fee
15 bps per year paid upfront prior to Rate Lock.
Conversion to Permanent Mortgage Loan
The permanent Mortgage Loan will close upon project completion and the issuance of certificates of occupancy for all units and at least 90% occupancy for 90 consecutive days. The permanent Mortgage Loan must meet Fannie Mae’s underwriting requirements.
During the construction phase, the MTEB execution requires the bonds to be cash collateralized with proceeds of a side-by-side construction loan and bond loan. The MBS will be delivered as bond collateral after conversion, following the MTEB delivery guidelines.
10 to 30 years.
The original principal amount of the permanent Mortgage Loan must not be greater than 100% of the amount of the Unfunded Forward Commitment.
Up to 35 years.
90% for Mortgage Loans secured by a Property with at least 90% of units meeting affordability requirements. 85% for a Property with less than 90% of units meeting affordability requirements. 80% for refundings.
1.15x for Mortgage Loans secured by a Property with at least 90% of units meeting affordability requirements. 1.20x for refundings and properties with less than 90% of units meeting affordability requirements.